Tuesday, February 12

Journal #10: Computer and Biological Viruses



Recently, my computer has shut down due to a virus (which I have no idea how I got in the first place, anyway), and not only are there malfunctions with it (the fact it kept shutting down at inconvenient moments)—there were also constant spamming coming from my e-mails and social network accounts, a nuisance made aware by my friends. Fortunately, I managed to fix it on my own, a process that left me utterly exhausted, as I know nothing about computers. However, the research I have done on computer viruses during that time certainly shown me some resemblances between it and biological viruses, hence the derived name “computer virus”.

Everybody loves viruses.



Some of the similarities I have found between the two different viruses are firstly, the contamination part.  Both biological and computer viruses are spread through some sort of contact. For example, I downloaded a movie streamer onto my computer, as in the way eating with dirty hands will invite the virus into your body. Just like a biological virus, the computer virus has to be compatible with your computer in order to damage it (how nice); thus, the resemblance the lock and key system of a certain virus for a certain host. Also, the two viruses could be prevented: biological ones by vaccination and just precautions, and computer ones by anti-viruses programs and precautions as well (like not downloading some suspicious programs). Likewise, the two viruses are nasty things that use the host relentlessly at the host’s expense, and could only “live” with a host ; a computer virus could potentially damage the hard drive of a computer and delete files (luckily I got all my files backed up), a biological virus could potentially infect and kill a host. However, both the computer and biological host have some defences to work against these detestable, little parasites.  For example, I used a scan to locate and delete the corrupted file and certain viruses could be wiped out by our white blood cells. With these similarities, it’s really no surprise a computer virus is named after its biological counterpart.

Biological Virus

No comments:

Post a Comment