Tuesday, November 6

Journal #5: Diffusion and Osmosis in Real Life

Biology objective: for a day, I have decided to note some visible examples of diffusion and osmosis in real life (my life) to better understand the process (and actually relate to it). I was curious as to whether my daily activities partake more in diffusion, or osmosis. Or in any that I am aware of.

And what exactly do those terms mean?

Osmosis: Movement of water molecules from high concentration to low concentration, through a semi-permeable membrane.


Osmosis



Diffusion:  Movement of molecules from high concentration to low concentration.

Diffusion

For Osmosis

1. Making myself a cup of tea: water moves through the semi-permeable membrane (teabag) and into the concentrated tea leaves

Tea: not just tea bags and boiling water

2. Watering my mom's dying rosemary: herb takes in water by osmosis
3. Taking a nice, hot bath: the skin on my fingers absorb water after prolonged exposure, before swelling, or,  "shriveling"
4. Soaking rice in water: rice will swell due to the level of water soaked in
5. Doing dishes: sponge expands when met with water


For Diffusion

1. Breathing: oxygen is carried to the lungs and diffused into my bloodstream
2. My brother stirring sugar into his black coffee: diffusing sugar for an even sweetness
3. Spraying perfume: perfume traveled from where I have sprayed, floating outside my room (or, too much perfume)

Diffusion of Odors



4. Baking cookies: smell of cookies filled the house by diffusion
5. Incense sticks in my bathroom: releasing scent from the little vase to the entire bathroom


To conclude, the little experiment was remarkable in the way that it applies something seemingly foreign—knowledge that only appears on textbook pages next to boring, small fonts—and into something I can relate the subject to more intimately. Moreover, I would like to extend this technique into other topics, as it was very helpful in familiarizing myself with the concept and make connections to real life.



29 comments:

  1. This is really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! :D this blog is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank u so much for helping me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very helpful, Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANKS, it is a great help !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice... it really useful

    ReplyDelete
  7. THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

    ReplyDelete
  8. WoW this so much useful for students

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks very help ful !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good real world examples!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ur pants r on backwards...
    Anyone else notice?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Helped so much thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. its not bad, there should be a quiz at the end

    ReplyDelete
  14. THANKS A LOT HAD A 9TH GRADE BIOLOGY HIGH SCHOOL LAB REPORT DUE TOMORROW AND HAD TO LOOK UP 3 DAILY LIFE EXAMPLES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have this for homework in 7th grade. I am dying right now.

      Delete
  15. This Will have to do
    Are you kidding this is the best!!!😁

    ReplyDelete
  16. This really helped me with my science lab report.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are anonymous an idea not an organisation

    ReplyDelete
  18. What i wanted was stuff on osmosis and examples of it in everyday life. I didn't get it. Soz, but u didn't make my day....

    ReplyDelete